Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Roxie

aka: Roxarelli, Turd Bird, Little Dog... I've picked up my sister's habit of calling dogs by anything but their actual names.



Roxie is a boxer puppy, probably six or seven weeks old. She was found by a guy just outside of town, who kept her for two weeks before he found out about the Humane Society. Everyone else he called was going to put her down if they didn't find a home in three days. He said his landlord wouldn't let him keep her once she got big, and he knew if he kept her any longer, he wouldn't be able to give him up. I can see why.



She is hilarious... all floppy legs and wrinkly skin. And she jumps when she walks. She also has her whole tail. I think it might be the first time I've ever seen a boxer with an intact tail. It very rarely stops moving.

she loves to play with toys.



She's constantly harassing Kodiak and Nizhoni, who are trying to teach her how not to be the most annoying dog ever. Their barks and snaps of reprimand are generally ignored in favor of continuing to run around like a mad woman. Or she barks right back at them, much to Kodiak's distress.




We are trying to crate train her. She's good in the crate while we're at work and she'll wander in and out of it when we're home. She just doesn't like to sleep in it. And against our better judgment, she's been sleeping in our bed. Its just that she's so damn cute, I can't say no. And I figure we'll only have her to the end of the week, then someone else can break her of the habit. I'm a terrible foster mom, I know.



One minute she's running around all spasmodic, then next she's out like a light. And she's uber snuggly when she's sleepy. Unfortunately, right this minute, she's tearing around the house like a bat out of hell. Oh, and she chews everything... but not until she's paraded around the house with it for a good five minutes. This is especially true of shoes and slippers that are bigger than she is.



The nice thing about fostering is that we get the cuteness of a new puppy, without the obligation of a big dog. She's awfully precious now, but she's going to be a good sized girl, and we do NOT need another big dog.

Can you tell I love her little tail??


But if YOU are in the market for a big dog, she is perfect... in a hilariously obnoxious, delightfully cuddly kind of way. Seriously, I can't even explain how snuggly and adorable she is.

4 comments:

  1. I absolutely love her. Kudos (lots of) for fostering. It's hard when they go, but your pride in doing such a wonderful thing and happiness for the dog in finding a wonderful perm home so you can move on to the next one outweighs it. The trick is not to fail your first foster ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Third shot is my fav....and the one where she is sleeping in the bed. And yes, I call my dog every name except Tito. There is angel, monster, muffin. The list goes on and the even funnier part of it all is that he responds to his nicknames better than his real name :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you've done this! I've been following Erin Vey and Slobberspace for some time and had no idea there was a pet photographer in West Texas. I'll be following your blog now!
    Georgia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not usually a fan of boxers (one of my close friends has one and I have been his dogsitter several times), but I have to say that this girl is absolutely angelic. Her face is so expressive and sweet. Love her!

    Oh, and I call Sagel a multitude of names - turducken, turkey butt, Sagelicious, Boo-boo, and the list goes on. He actually responds to all of them now too. :)

    ReplyDelete